Mars Hill had a baptism celebration today - I love these services. I'd go to all three services if I could just to hear all of the incredible stories. We basically have a hot tub on the stage (with a camera projecting the tub and its occupants up on the screen so everyone can see what's going on). Those being baptized line up, climbing into the water with the baptizing pastors, as well as friends or family members who will take part in this beautiful thing with them. Parents help baptize their children. Friends help baptize their friends. A few teens had their d-group leaders in the tub with them. A newlywed couple was baptized together as one way to bind their new life together (both had been baptized as infants). And while they are being baptized, someone reads their testimony. It's moving and joyful and wonderful. There are tears and smiles and cheers.
I was baptized as a baby in the Reformed church, and I know that it's something I need to do now as an adult. I just need to get past the whole "in front of everyone" thing that scares me off from doing it, which is just silly. So maybe next time we have a baptism celebration at church, I'll be there in my shorts and T-shirt, carrying a towel up on the stage and awaiting my turn to make a public proclamation of my love for and faith in Jesus, and the way He continually moves in my life.
We had a fun adventure in home ownership yesterday. I came downstairs to continue laundry and noticed water on the floor - more than usual when I do laundry. Our washing machine empties into a drain in the floor, except it wasn't draining. I turned off the washing machine, but the puddle was turning into a small lake. Pete and I began bailing water to avoid a major catastrophe - between the two of us, we carrried what seemed like gallons and gallons of water out the door. We called the city and they promised to send someone out to check things out. On a bailing break, I went upstairs and discovered the toilet running. I jiggled the handle like you should and it stopped. And in the basement, the water began to recede. Very strange. The sewer guy came and checked the water lines just to be sure there was no problem. And our crisis ended. I had been envisioning a crazy emergency plumbing bill and who knows what else (I tend to immediately think of the worse case scenario for every situation), but it ended with no problem.
I've now successfully avoided the work I was trying to do (transcribing an interview for our Summer 1 catalog - I hate transcribing). More to come soon...
Sunday, May 07, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Don't you just hate plumbing problems? Scott had our entire drain apart under the bathroom sink trying to do some unclogging on Tuesday (Drano is a joke). When he put it back together, every joint leaked! Poor guy. Old house, old pipes.
Speaking of water, here are my two cents on baptism (I just can't help saying something about this)... I love seeing people baptized in our church. And what's really great is seeing adults being baptized, because it's their first and only time (it's our belief that baptism is a one-time deal). Thus my own thoughts on the subject... my parents asking God to send his Holy Spirit into my life was awesome, and I'd feel like I was slapping God in the face by telling him his Spirit working in me wasn't good enough for these first 28 years of my life. Too blunt?
Nonetheless, Christian baptism IS such a moving experience! I'm practically in tears some Sundays when baptisms occur. It joyful and wonderful, that's for sure.
You know you're good at blogging when you get people thinking!
Post a Comment