Sunday, June 24, 2007

one down, one to go

One more week (and a day) until Pete gets back. It's gone relatively fast, but I'm so ready to have him home. I think he's ready to be home too. His group left today for their wilderness camping experience in Glacier National Park. They'll return to the ranch sometime on Wednesday, so I won't be able to talk to him until then. That's going to be a little difficult for me - wondering if everything is okay and not knowing for sure until Wednesday. A good opportunity to pray and exercise some faith.

We began painting yesterday and the results are looking good so far. Pete and I decided to go with the trim color we have going downstairs (called "Pot of Cream") instead of a bolder color. It will unify things between the colorful rooms downstairs and colorful rooms upstairs. It sounds a little silly, but one of the changes I'm most excited about is new light fixtures and switchplates. I've been trying to choose colors and styles that fit the era of our house (instead of the boring plastic things we had), and I can't wait to see these things on the walls. Plus, it just feels good to do a job right - the previous owner(s) of this house were extremely sloppy painters. I don't expect perfection, but please, take two seconds to remove switchplates - don't paint over them! And tape is your friend so you don't get it all over things you don't want to (like the ceiling). They also got paint on the doorknobs upstairs, most of which I believe are original to the house. Grrr....

My parents have been absolutely wonderful helping out this week, from spreading mulch, watering plants, making a planter for our front patio, hanging new outdoor lights, sweeping the deck and painting. It's been fantastic.

Between painting and a busy week at work this week (I have my first Christmas catalog planning meeting on Thursday), I'm hoping the days fly by until next Monday when Pete comes back home.

No comments: