Tuesday, October 03, 2006

rainy days and mondays

Yesterday was Monday and yesterday was rainy (VERY rainy), but, to paraphrase The Carpenters, neither of those really got me down. Instead, it was the woman who hit my car.

Yes, after years of accident-free driving, I've now been in two in the last 15 months. The one last year was my fault. Yesterday's (fortunately for me) was not. First, the good news: no one was injured. The bad news: my car is in the body shop for its second round of body work in 15 months. Soon, the entire front end will be brand new!

So I was headed toward work yesterday morning when a car in front of me slowed to turn into a health club on Burton. I slowed down too, since that's what you should do. There was a car waiting to turn out of the same parking lot. She later said she thought I was turning as well (though I can't figure out why - I didn't have my turn signal on). So car in front of me turns in, I start to accelerate, and so does the car coming out of the parking lot. And it accelerated into my passenger side. There's nothing quite like that sound of metal smashing against metal.

It's truly providential that on a dark, rainy morning, the accident was not any worse, the police officer was friendly, the tow truck drive was friendly, and the woman that hit me was extremely apologetic. And my gem of a husband was able to drive over and comfort me, give me a ride to the body shop and then a ride to work.

No pictures of the car to post - we'll just look forward to it looking as good as new.

2 comments:

Rach said...

Amy! oh my goodness, I'm glad you're okay. Why are people silly drivers? Did she get ticketed?

Amy said...

Yes, I believe she got ticketed - and her insurance company is paying for the repair to my car! :) Still waiting for my car to come back to me - I'm hoping by the end of this week. That's the biggest hassle out of all of this - having to rely on others for transportation. Oh well - I'd rather have that than have the accident be any worse!